Friday, October 7, 2011

Kumamon = Kumamoto?

I liked how we rearranged the desks so we could all face each other today. It's definitely more conducive to having conversations!

My favorite conversation was about Kumamon and his affiliation (or maybe lack thereof) with Kumamoto. I think Kumamon is absolutely adorable. I have a Kumamon shirt, two cellphone straps, a backpack button, visor, handtowel, and origami figure. I think he's been a great tool for giving Kumamoto recognition. I know some of the Japanese students said they liked Kumamon because he has helped the Kumamoto economy through some bad times. However, I do feel that the Kumamon love has gone overboard. He's super cute and popular, but that can only go so far. Kumamoto really needs to promote some of its other landmarks and sightseeing places like Kumamoto Castle, Mt. Aso, and Suizenji Park. Those are the things people from other prefectures should hear about and want to come see--not the city's mascot.
Kumamon can be a great way to introduce Kumamoto Prefecture to other people, but it shouldn't be the only thing they know about Kumamoto. Right now Kumamon is still pretty new so he's garnered a lot of attention, but that will only last for so long. Kumamoto really needs to link Kumamon to other areas of Kumamoto before the novelty of Kumamon wears off and they no longer have an interest in Kumamoto.

On a different note, I was really surprised how many Japanese students felt uncomfortable with the treatment of the horses during last month's festival. I thought since most of them had grown up seeing it, it would not bother them. I don't mind the horses being used for the festival, I just don't like the idea of them being whipped if they get out of hand.

~終わり~

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Kelsee! I feel the same way about both issues. I was surprised, too, by the discomfort many of the Japanese students expressed. In a way, I was also pleased that responses in class did fall into the stereotypical "Japanese" and "foreign" camps.

    ReplyDelete