Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Classroom Habits

So, I'm going to start this with a disclaimer that I will be making a pretty sweeping generalization in this post. I recognize that there are exceptions to what I will say, but it's easier to write this blog if I make it general.

In last week's class, we discussed the whole "sweetness" thing about sort of asking for another person (a parent, teacher, owner, etc) to be kind or indulgent to you and also about how people can indulge or spoil those beneath them (a child, a student, a pet, etc). One of the skits done in class showed a teacher trying to indulge his students by not really punishing them much for being disruptive in the lesson. It was very well done, and we all laughed, but I can't help but thing how accurate that skit has been at portraying my experience in the classes here at KGU.

I have always believed the stereotype that Asian students are really serious about their studies and will do whatever it takes to succeed. That seems to still be pretty true regarding highschool and taking college entrance exams. However, it seems to me that once the students have secured their spot in a university, they seriously slack off.  I have many friends who constantly skip class, like on a weekly basis. Why? Just because they think it is boring.

What's most surprising, however, is their attitude in the classroom. I have been in a lot of classes throughout college, and the classes where I am with Asian students (whether they be Japanese, Korean, or Chinese) are always the worst. Many times they will be making a lot of noise, talking with each other, drawing on desks, laughing about some inside joke, and so on. It's almost unfathomable for me to see how many Japanese students act in class. Certainly, in America, students will also become bored in class and will stop paying attention. However, when this happens, an American student will likely doodle in a book or play on his or her phone. Of course, this is still rude to do, but at least it does not disrupt other students' studying. Every single class that I have here at KGU where there are Asian students in the classroom, I frequently find myself distracted by their talking, and giggling, and playing games behind the teacher's back (or, even more surprisingly showing a lack of respect, continuing to do so while the teacher is looking right at them).

I've talked with some of the other exchange students like Pang, Anna, Tanner, Jennifer, and Alex and we all agree that we've never seen students behave so blatantly disrespectful in class.  I don't if maybe it's because KGU isn't a prestigious, large university so maybe it is different at other schools like Kumamoto University, but it's been something I've been really curious about. The stereotypes are usually that Japanese University students are really studious and knock themselves out trying to study all the time...and American University students are lazy and knock themselves out drinking every weekend. However, from what  I've seen these last three months, it's quite to the contrary.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this thoughtful post. This brings up several important issues that I would like to discuss in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn told me you discussed this in class today. I'm so sorry I wasn't there to give more input and examples. ごめんなさい! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your response! Kathryn and Anna helped make the class discussion interesting. It would have been even more interesting if we had had better participation but, as I say, things worked out OK yesterday thanks to Anna and Kathryn. I'm a little concerned, though, that the absences yesterday are a sign that I need to make some adjustments to make the class more meaningful and enjoyable for everyone. I've been thinking about this on my own but I would would appreciate any and all feedback I can get from you and others in the class. I think, for instance, that I should given the Japanese students some advance notice of my plans to follow up the discussion of cuteness with an introduction of the notion of amae so that they would be prepared to take on more leadership in the groups in planning the skits. There are other things I think I need to improve but my perspective may not be the same as yours so I would definitely appreciate your thoughts on how to improve the class. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete