Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ode to Toilet

This is a pretty random blog entry.

Something I find interesting about Japanese girls (and I can only talk about girls because I don't go to the boys bathrooms...) is how paranoid they seem to be of someone hearing them use the toilet. Many of the toilets I've seen here in Japan have a little sensor next to them so you can have a fake flushing sound cover up the noise from your pee. I've never seen or even thought about something like this before I came to Japan. In America, it's a little weird to hear people peeing in the bathroom, but everyone just sort of mutually agrees to ignore it so it's not awkward. After, it's no secret why you're in the bathroom...everyone knows what you are doing.

I guess this just seems a little odd because Japanese girls seem to be okay with being naked in front of other people when it comes to things like showers, baths, and onsens. That seems to be understandable, but the thought of someone hearing you use the bathroom appears to be very embarrassing. I'm not sure it's something I really want to talk about in class (because I'm sure it would make the Japanese students feel awkward), but I do find this juxtaposition really interesting. I'd much rather have someone hear me use the bathroom than see me naked.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! Your last sentence is particularly interesting. We don't need to talk about it in class if it seems hard to talk about. On the other hand, I have a video about this that might make it pretty easy to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this sensor doesn't need. I always was attract the interest to your topic!

    ReplyDelete